Just a stone’s throw away from Temple University at 1314 N. Broad Street, the Legendary Blue Horizon currently sits unused. The building has a long and interesting history: built in 1865 in the French Second Empire architectural style (same as City Hall) as three separate mansions for rich guys, it was combined in 1914 into one large building for the fraternal organization, Loyal Order of the Moose. It was at this time that a ballroom, bar and auditorium was added; in 1961 it was sold and renovated again to become the boxing arena we’ve all come to know. It operated for years, hosting about 1,500 fans per event, with local and rising boxing stars passing through its doors; it was also a venue for weddings, meetings and parties. In 2002, David McShane painted a mural on the northern side of the building, featuring legendary boxers Muhammed Ali, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, and Larry Holmes. Once voted best boxing ring in the world, Blue Horizon was forced to close in 2010 due to mounting tax and utility bills.