Cinema Treasures tells us that Ripley Music Hall opened at 606 South St. in 1909 with a seating capacity of 500. However, the image taken from G.W. Bromley’s Philadelphia Atlas tells us that by 1910, the theatre was known by the much more hilarious handle, the Hippodrome.
In 1925, the Hippodrome underwent major renovations, which, according to one Cinema Treasures contributor, included the installation of a Wurlitzer theater organ. Here below, (more…)