Delorean Moment: Second And Chestnut Streets

"Old Philadelphia in Early Photographs" by Robert F. Looney

This building at the southwest corner of the intersection at Second and Chestnut Streets was owned by well-known antiquary (of 1843) John McAllister. His storefront, which was decorated with simple white shutters and windowpanes, is an example of a traditional, imported English style that endured in Philadelphia long after the Colonial Period had ended. Seen ten years later, in 1854, this same storefront had been transformed to suit its utility. McAllister’s occupied the near side building where he sold mathematical and optical instruments. Privately owned businesses such as this were common to the east end of Chestnut Street during this decade. —-Alex Graziano

"Old Philadelphia in Early Photographs" by Robert F. Looney