Hopes for a renewed Gallery have been around for much longer than Naked Philly has been writing about them. We've repeatedly covered possible movement at the mall over the years, most recently last summer when we wondered whether a renovation was close after a story came out that shopping-center company Macerich was partnering with Gallery owners PREIT, and had pledged almost $107M toward fixing up the place. Today, the Inquirer had a story featuring specific details of the plans to renovate the Gallery into... the Fashion Outlets of Philadelphia.
Lit Bros. building in 1984, a few years after the store closed. Image from Hidden City.
We knew the signs were coming, but we hadn't seen them in person until just last week. And while the building, as you can see in the photo above, has utilized rooftop signage in the past, it's definitely a different feel today.
The building at 818 Chestnut St. is a somewhat forgotten though surprisingly well-preserved Center City landmark. Evidence abounds in the building’s art deco facade to suggest that this was, indeed, a fashionable destination in the early 20th Century and one that redefined the dining experience for thousands of Philadelphians. But let’s rewind a bit first. According to Philadelphia Architects and Buildings, this spot was host to Thomas W. Evans & Co. Dry Goods in the mid-19th Century. Here below, Philadelphia Architects provides us with a sketch of the establishment in 1851.
Thomas W. Evans & Co. Dry Goods, 1851
By 1875, a newly constructed building now listed at 818 Chestnut St. was occupied by one Charles Pierson and stood in the shadow of the Continental Hotel. Pierson’s occupancy of the structure is evidenced both by its Pierson Building alias and the image here below taken from G.M. Hopkins’ 1875 Philadelphia Atlas.
A grandparent's lifetime ago, Market East was the place to go shopping in downtown Philadelphia. Huge departments stores like Strawbridge and Clothier, Gimbels, and Lit Brothers offered shoppers all they could handle under one roof. But times have changed. None of Philadelphia's original six major department stores remain, though some of their former homes have fortunately fortunately stuck around. Wanamaker's is now a Macy's. The Strawbridge's building houses offices for the Inquirer and Daily News, among other things. And the former Snellenburg's? It's actually, mercifully, getting torn down as we speak.
Back in 1965
This building sucks now
Snellenburg's closed in 1962, and by the end of the decade the building had been criminally altered beyond recognition. What we see today on the 1100 block of Market Street is all that remains of the Snellenburg's building. Since its upper floors were chopped off, the building has contained a collection of individual storefronts, most of which have been lower-end businesses in recent decades. A few years ago, we learned that the building currently known as Girard Square would be demolished, and a new structure with Target as a lead tenant would replace it. But that never happened and we were bummed.
As the months have passed, the project has evolved some and grown eastward. Instead of 80 apartments, the project will now include 115. There will be 90,000 sqft of retail when all is said and done. And another couple buildings, which we previously expected would remain, will soon be demolished. As for the first run of buildings, demolition is underway. At the former Oppenheim Collins building, the graffitti has been cleared off and the building's original sign has been revealed. Here's hoping it remains when the project is over.