The area surrounding 7th & Snyder in South Philly is largely defined by aging facades and fading colors. But there was a time that the neighborhood flourished around this key intersection. In the late 19th century, at least as early as 1870, the northwest corner was home to a church congregation. The image below, taken from G.W. Bromley’s 1895 Philadelphia Atlas, shows the Snyder Avenue Baptist Church.
The Snyder Avenue Baptist Church, 1895
According to Philadelphia Buildings, the location became the Calvary Baptist Church by 1901. The congregation’s run under this name would be short-lived. Cinema Treasures tells that the Grand Theatre would replace the church by 1911. Hereafter, the Grand became a popular draw in a thriving neighborhood. The photos below show the theatre in 1927, when a combination of live Vaudeville performance and silent films attracted locals. Taken from the Irvin R. Glazer Theater Collection, these images show the interior and stage of The Grand during this time.
Rufo appeared before the Lower Moyamensing Civc Association in December, the Passyunk Post reported. Rufo plans to build an additional two buildings that would make for five total on the site. According to the South Philly Review, the factory was first constructed in 1926 and has remained vacant and bruised since 2005.
There was a haze of dust in the air yesterday evening in South Philly as an L&I crew worked to demolish what was left of 426, 428, and 430 Daly Street. As you've probably heard by now, a contractor attempting to light the pilot light for a new hot water heater in the basement of 428 Daly Street yesterday set off a gas explosion that severely damaged adjacent homes, caused injuries for nine people, and resulted in an evacuation for most of the block.
Police and fire on the scene
Looking down Daly Street.
Amazingly, most of the injuries from the explosion were minor. With the exception of the contractor, who is in critical condition at this time, all of the people who were sent to the hospital have been released. We hope that the man who's still in the hospital has a speedy recovery.
A couple of readers have reached out in recent weeks, asking if we knew the lowdown on the northwest corner of 18th & Latona. A rather unattractive three story building was torn down here about a month ago, and a zoning notice recently appeared on the construction fence. Looking at what was here before, you can appreciate why the building came down.
In the past
One interesting thing to note about this now-demolished building is that it appears to have once been home to a commercial space, like so many other South Philly corners. It's the brickwork and stucco that were used to fill in the larger openings that made the building so tough to look at. But now nobody will ever have to look at it again.
A few months ago, we told you that local gem Valley Green Bank would be taking over a vacant commercial space on the northwest corner of Broad & Tasker. Most recently a WIC office, the building was originally constructed in the late 1960s as a Continental Bank branch. It continued in its original banking use through the 1990s, and was apparently a video store for a time before the WIC office and a mental health office took over in the last decade.